Saturday, June 18, 2011

a collaboration with mom

Last year, when my friends announced they were expecting a baby, I never expected my mom to suggest learning how to make a quilt as a gift. “You design it, and I’ll make it,” she said enthusiastically. And so we did, but most of the credit goes to Mom, who did all of the heavy lifting.

The centerpiece of the quilt is my portrait of Sadie, our friends’ beloved 16-year-old pointer, familiar to some from invitations and Christmas ornaments over the years. The cityscape and row of evergreen trees represent the move they made a few years ago from New York City to Portland, Maine.

Earlier this week, I was privileged to present the finished product to Meghan and Jim, and their gorgeous, little girl on behalf of my mom. It seems like Claire approves. Thanks Mom!

5 comments:

Trade Your Talent said...

so sweet, what a gorgeous idea!

Beth Niquette said...

Hello, Anna! What a multi-talented artist you are. This quilt is so fun.

I have just became acquainted with your artwork through Illustration Friday. Your artwork makes me smile.

I have featured you and your blog and artwork on this week's FATuesday Artist Spotlight.

Thank you for your inspiring work. Have a fabulous week!

Lauren Castillo said...

Ohhh this is adorable, Anna! You and your mom make a great team -- beautiful work! :)

Caryn said...

Hi, Anna....had brunch with you and Joel a few weeks ago. Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed meeting you and to let you know that I love the quilt! Your description does not do it justice. Also, I am amazed at your talent. How wonderful to be making a living at doing what you clearly enjoy.

Anna Raff said...

Thank you Caryn! It was so nice meeting you too. We're working on another quilt, so I'll keep you posted. :v)